Monday, January 30, 2012

Assignment 3: Places


Above is an image of the Tokaido, a road running from Kyoto to Edo (important cities). In this image you really get a sense of vastness from the setting. Large trees and mountain tops in the background give the viewer a sense of vastness and gives them an idea of what the Tokaido weaves through. The image also gives viewers a different setting from the main cities. Beato shows the remote side of Japan by capturing an image of a remote village resting at one point on the Tokaido.

It is interesting with the placement of the people. I believe their positions in the photo were unplanned. I want to say that he captured this shot with out making contact with the villagers. The villagers not knowing whats going on stand and look in bewilderment. This photo depicts the remoteness that Japan can sometimes provide but it also shows the inactivity taking place on the Tokaido.

When it comes down to it, this photo is meant to be aesthetically pleasing. It is a beautiful scene of lush country side. This something a boy from south Georgia (me) can appreciate.

http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/21f/21f.027/beato_places/fb1_essay02.html

3 comments:

  1. Hey Ivan, I think you did a good job writing about this image of Tokaido. I like your point how this reveals the remoteness of Japan because I never would have thought of that. I also like how you mention the positioning of the villagers because it reveals that they were not posing for this photo. My only suggestion is that you talked about what some of the villagers looked like because it would add to your analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a neat picture. I like how these people aren't distracted by the photographer, and I like the placement of the large trees, especially the two main one on either side of the road. It gives that welcoming feeling, and at the same time I feel like I'm being leaded into somewhere unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you chose this image. I remember I saw this, but the colors were dull so I just skipped it so I'm glad you analyzed it. Just by glancing, I couldn't really see the beauty of the photo, but by examining the elements in the photo, I can see it is a simple and beautiful photo. The straw roofs and trees give the place a very welcoming and natural feel. Good job!

    ReplyDelete