Monday, January 30, 2012

Assignment 3: People


Above is a photo by Beato of a staged execution. I would think that images like these would be very popular among westerners for the "violence" taking place in the photo.Violence being something associated with uncivilized people as if violence is foreign to westerners at any point in history.

We have just recently started reading about gazes and I guess I will start there. Even though this is a staged execution the emotion expressed on the "executioner's" face seems to be very accurate to this point in time of a real execution. Its a very intense look barreling into the back of his victims neck (his target). Its a intra-diagetic gaze depicting a high level of seriousness. A calm before the storm. If this was a real execution, then the samurai's face would become very tense and strained as he proceeded to remove the prisoner's head in one quick precise and powerful swing.

While we are talking about gaze, how could the victims gaze be described as. I did not see a term in our readings for a gaze in which has been taken or obstructed.

When discussing the details of this photo is the rope tied around the prisoners neck which was used by the samurai to guide his victim to his final resting place. A leash really. Another detail would be the placement of his sword. Like his face I feel like this photo captured the moment right before the action is to be carried out. If this were a real execution his sword would be cocked back and swung forward soon after this photo was taken. The seriousness of this photo is reinforced in the essay when it is followed by images of REAL decapitated heads.

I have a question about the shape of the photo itself. I don't know much about photography so why is it that a lot of older pictures are oval shape. Is it a portrait style or something else?

http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/21f/21f.027/beato_people/fb2_essay01.html

3 comments:

  1. I also wrote about this image and I think that your analysis of this image is great. I liked how you used a term to describe the executioner’s gaze. I agree that because this moment is right before the execution, it makes the image more intense. Your details on both the executioner and criminal are great. The only suggestion I have is that you talked more about the positioning of the criminal because it reveals how the execution is done and what he might be thinking before he is about to get executed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that this shot is seconds before the execution makes this image pretty intense. I noticed that the executioner has his legs separated at shoulder width apart, in addition to his tense face especially around the mouth area and his gaze staring straight at the victim show that he's putting his strength into beheading the guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good analysis Ivan! I like how your pointed out how the criminal doesn't really have a gaze. I also like the fact that you went really in depth with the executioner's gaze and stance. My attention went towards the rope, so I'm glad you wrote about that as well:]

    ReplyDelete