Thursday, January 26, 2012

Undying Pride


This woodblock print reminds me of a lot of the Mongol Scrolls (both invasions taking place in Edo as well I think). This image of Samurai looking all "decked-out" preparing to defend their pure homeland from barbaric invaders. The way I described this print really describes the what the artist was trying to get across. The noble larger than life samurai preparing for war. The color usage really makes the print pretty exciting. It matches all the excitement happening within the print.

Another thing that is pretty cool about the print is how it makes both sides look pretty good. He makes the Samurai look very heroic and battle-worthy while the foreign invaders ships look massive and ominous. All of this I am sure was exaggerated to a certain degree. Not to mention this print was made several years after the event that took place within the print.

The creation of this print, I believe, was really to strike a Nationalist sense of pride into the Japan natives. An image of this would really (and probably was) appreciated during the second world war in which Japan would be pitted against the west yet again.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Ivan, I like what you wrote about this picture. I like your point about how this print is supposed to summon a Nationalist sense of pride for all of Japan. Also I like how you add that it was probably used to inspire the Japanese in World War II. The only suggestion I have is that you should try to incorporate more semiotic terminology because I think it will ultimately help your future analysis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I will take your advice. We have discusses semiotics a lot in class and failed to include some of those points in my image. I will be sure to use these in future analysis'.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you- the color and extravagance definitely adds to the exciting ambiance of the picture. It's neat that you point out how neither side looks worst than the other; I think that by extension maybe the artist was trying to portray them as worthy, equal opponents. The main theme you hit on I think is correct: there is most dominately the theme of nationalism, of a noble war from a strong people, the Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I am glad I was not only able to get my point across but also that someone was able to agree with me.

      Delete
  3. I really like how you pointed out that both sides seem to be good because as a viewer and knowing the woodblock was done by a Japanese artist, I would probably over look the details of the print and just assume that they would make the Japanese look "good". I agree with you that this seems to have been created to strike nationalist pride.

    ReplyDelete