Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Asahi is for Gentlemen



If you don't know already and if you can't tell from the photo Asahi is a popular Japanese beer. First off I would have to say that this advertisement appeals to the mail gender. The man in this photo is of a 'wealthy' Hugh Hefner type. His outfit suggests as much. Also the gray hair of the man suggests the noted "distinction" along with experience. Using this age suggests that the man has experienced many beers and Asahi is one of choice. Now what is a little strange is the choice of adding the hawk. could possibly mean that he is a man of many hobbies. Hobbies that are not of the average man. Overall I feel as though that the beer is trying to promate that is the beer of choice for sophisticated playboys (something that many men would like to be).

Now the choice of using a white man to advertise a Japanese beer is not a way to promote unity in any sense but rather to promote the beer to a western audience. Or maybe it is to show Japanese citizens that "even the big time westerners drink Asahi, so you should too". I see this repetition through many Asahi advertisements. Below is a link to a video rather than just a single image but it contains many of the themes that this image does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTDh5eWYKdE


4 comments:

  1. Hi Ivan!
    I think all the points you made were all good! I'm not sure if you take Japanese/know Japanese, so I was just wondering if your points were made from just the model and setting. Since I don't know Japanese either, I'm just going by the model and setting and I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sad to say that my Japanese is not that great yet. Mizenko-sensei can vouch for that. But I do feel that it would have little effect on my analysis. This image is pretty straight forward and I am glad you agree with me. It also makes for an interesting experience when you are not really able to read the text of an ad and rather just have to assume by interpreting the visuals within it.

      Delete
  2. Hey Ivan, I think your analysis of this image is great. I think that your points were told clearly and are exactly right. I also think that you did not miss any other point. My only suggestion is that you use more semiotic terminology (I think I also said this suggestion in another comment too), but besides that it is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have a really interesting interpretation. I agree that luxury is the emphasis here, but I think the hawk has more to do with power, as the confident, rich man wielding one looks impressive, especially an exotic status symbol. I think the westerner has a sort of appeal; the strong beer of westerners. However, for the most part I agree with your view!

    ReplyDelete